Overrun by Fountain Pens08/16/2010
Does this happen to you? No matter how limited I try to keep things, my desk gets overrun by fountain pens. Time to whip them into line or at least to make my fountain pen excess more manageable.
Actually, only a few duos get regular use based more on the inks than the pens. Sure, I’m a sucker for color but other properties as well. Nevertheless, there are a few pens that are so much fun to use, they are rarely given a rest especially when matched with the perfect ink.
(Note that the ink scan is far from ideal. Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku is darker and a bit more green while Diamine Violet is slightly more red than the image appears on my monitor. Even Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Goldgrün could be a tiny bit more yellow. The image of the pens is spot-on but then black is hard to get wrong even for me. )
After much winnowing the core of my rotation now includes
- Turquoise – Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku in Sailor Sapporo Fine
- Blue-Black – Diamine Blue-Black in Pilot Custom Black Stripe Fine
- Purple – Diamine Violet in Namiki Falcon Soft Fine
- Magenta – Rohrer & Klingner Solferino in Pilot Elite ‘Isaac Newton’ Fine
- Dark red – Noodler’s Red-Black in Sailor 1911 Fine
- Brown – J. Herbin Lie de Thé in Levenger True Writer Fine
- Dark green – Montblanc Racing Green in Lamy Safari Custom Cursive Italic
- Medium green – Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Goldgrün in Lamy Safari 1.1 mm
Alt-Goldgrün is so right for so many uses that it deserves a better performing pen than the Safari. That is the only weak spot in my lineup and it could get remedied as soon as a few pens return from the spa.
For additional variety, two or three duos from my Very Nearly Perfect List will do.
The secondary players:
- Green – Iroshizuku Shin-Ryoku in Pilot Elite ‘Socrates’ Fine
- Dark green – Private Reserve Avacado in Waterman Carene Stub
- Red – Rohrer & Klingner Morinda in Lamy Vista 1.1 mm
- Orange – Iroshizuku Yu-Yake in Retro 51 Scriptmaster II Fine
- Blue – Diamine Mediterranean Blue in Namiki Falcon Soft Fine or Montblanc 220 OB
- Black – J. Herbin Perle Noire in Levenger True Writer Fine
- Dark brown – Noodler’s #41 Brown in Noodler’s Aero Medium Fine (still testing this one) or Pilot Elite Fine
There are a few inks that either haven’t met the right pens yet or other inks nabbed the great pens first.
- Noodler’s Cayenne
- Rohrer & Klingner Magenta
- Sailor Deep Moss Black
- J. Herbin Café des Îles
- Iroshizuku Syo-Ro
- Stipula Moss Green
These inks will eventually meet ideal mates and join the secondary list which will bring my total rotation to twenty-one with ten to twelve inked at a time. Add to that a few inks being tested for Inkophile reviews and it’s no wonder my desk always looks so overcrowded!
Do you have a core group of inks and pens? Do add your list to the comments. I would love to know which ones make you happy.